(47) Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
(48) If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
(49) And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
(50) Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
(51) And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;