Daily Devotions: by Christina Farris
|2 Peter 2:1-22 KJV
(1) But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
(2) And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
(3) And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
(4) For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
(5) And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
(6) And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
(7) And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
(8) (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
(9) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
(10) But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
(11) Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
(12) But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
(13) And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
(14) Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
(15) Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
(16) But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
(17) These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
(18) For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
(19) While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
(20) For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
(21) For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
(22) But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
How to remain in Godís grace and mercy might be better asked in the since how can I avoid Godís wrath? God gave man examples and some are even still talked about among unreligious folks in clichťs that few understand what it is about without knowing it is a Bible references to sinful world like Sodom and Gomorrah or perhaps calling it sin city. Knowing God destroys sin city is enough for some to repent and for others it is only a chance to mock or rebel against God. If New Orleans was to be called sin city before the flood, many might say Godís judgment came to that city after all it did not stop sin in any other cities. Though sin rises and falls in every town and county across our nation, one can not always declare it because of sin. Yet one can determine the rise and fall of our towns and counties does have to do with ungodliness. People live in areas where they pray for deliverance of evil council men and city leaders. Knowing to stand up will only bring their own destruction. To declare a city sinful is to know the closet of the city. That area that is either publicly open or hidden. Yet it is a statement not to be judgmental of what we do not know fully for ever city has sin that can be easily seen our world today.
Storms may come and go but Godís mercy and grace still exist and easily by hands extended in charity, but it is the in the night when water rises that one can understand Godís mercy and deliverance when morning comes and you lived through something, because the water never reached you to drown you, fire came, but did not destroy you and that one thing that should of killed did not, because you cried out to God.
If all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God who does not deserve judgment of God. Yet if all have sinned and some repent who then can claim mercy but those with faith. For the sinner without faith testify of Godís mercy on their life until the final judgment. Yet there were specific sin that God did judge by the prophets of old time preaching. It is those ministers that preached judgment and mercy that do testify of Godís judgment that could easily be seen. Moses no exception with the story of Korah in Numbers yesterday. God spoke to Abraham about Sodom and Gomorrah and spoke of judgment. Yes God warns of judgment and of future judgment by old time prophecy and new prophecy. It can not be ignored by those that believe if they wish to live.
One must speak of the judgment for the world to know of prophecy of God, one must speak of hope and mercy of God through repentance. With repentance and faith every man, woman and child finds deliverance. Godís mercy can be through death in disaster or it might be Godís judgment. The world can not fully understand this process of prophecy upon an area of knowing without knowing God. Yet called of preaching judgment comes to the world. To warn of eternal damnation. Nineveh was one city that heeded for a time to Godís warning. Keep speaking truth in love, you might find Nineveh that will hear.
Dear Heavenly Father encourage your people to speak of the judgment of sin to a lost and dying world, and allow world to understand the judgment is to wake the world up to Godís grace and mercy through Christ Jesus. In Jesus precious name, Amen.