The Law of The Old That is Covered in the New Testament:
Matthew 27:58-66 KJV
(58) He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.
(59) And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
(60) And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
(61) And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.
(62) Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
(63) Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
(64) Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
(65) Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.
(66) So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.
I find it interesting in Matthew account covers a bit more information about the day and the following day of the crucifixion then the other Gospels. Matthew records the events of the Sabbath day of rest. There is a space of the body not being guarded. Is this flaw in thinking no Matthew records it along with the rumor of the body possibly being stolen. No other Gospel tells these things. So any false prophet would easily be able to say Jesus never arose, but the body was stolen during this time period. Jews priest had gone to Roman counsel and asked Roman counsel to work on the Sabbath. Why because Roman’s did not honor the Sabbath. Jesus’ people and Jewish counsel were able to watch until the Sabbath. Then they had to purify themselves after leaving the tomb to honor the Sabbath. They would not be allowed in the temple because of unseemliness of death. Customary to avoid a tomb or dead body when serving God in the temple, do to purity religious laws. They need someone to guard the body that they hope would decrease the chances of the body being taken.
Family in mourning sat by the sepulcher yet Sabbath was coming, they would have to depart. The grief of mourning their beloved Jesus. The one that had raised Lazareth, and other dead corpus. What the point one might ask. The myth of the stolen body was possible, but not likely and here is why. The priest made sure the Roman’s themselves did not steal the body because the priest was sure to tell them if the body was stolen it would cause uprising among the people. Jesus had become greater then Moses and Samuel while on earth. The mass healing was proof. Priest had wanted to bury the legend of a man that sweep Jerusalem and all of the Jewish and surrounding areas he pass through of His day. They wanted this legend to die, because of his claim to be God and super human ability to destroy and resurrect a temple. They want the possible of rebellion against the Jewish law to be abolished. They wanted the body to remain, because no doubt they had heard the rumors of Lazareth death and did not believe. Romans go and watches the tomb.
Both religious leaders and law was making sure the tomb remained with Jesus in it locked away forever into a sea of forgetfulness over time. Most thought Buddha, Mohammed, and Roman gods and goddess would pass, but there people still worshiping idols and not God. What makes Jesus special is He rose from the tomb, there was quake that shook the earth. An earthquake that rolled the stone away, or maybe it was after shock from the earthquake that ripped the veil in the temple. Already people were claiming Jesus as the Son of God. The soldier that stood at the cross. Seeing the dead rise, knew that what was happening was beyond their comprehension. The leaders need to keep control of the people. Guard was given to the tomb. Not Mohammed, or Buddha raised themselves out of the tomb. No other religious leader in history was to say raised themselves from the tomb.
What the point if the tomb is empty then it would cause a stir that the government and religious leaders could not stop. So it is Christianity is still running rapted in the streets of our land because of the Saving power of Jesus. Because Jesus remained in the tomb until the third day.
As Christians around the world concentrate on the resurrection let us not forget the day between Friday and Sunday and importance of observance of the Sabbath as well as the tomb. The quakes enough to rise the dead, and rip veil in the temple had caused a stir. The shock had been enough. The crucifixion alone had been enough to shake the world. After all Samuel and Moses are still talked about in religious circles. No one but God could of stolen that body out of the grave.
Dear Heavenly Father may you keep the hope of Christ in our hearts by evidence of the guarded tomb. In Jesus precious name, Amen.