Daily Devotions for Tuesday: by turtle30c
Matthew 12:46-50 KJV
(46) While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
(47) Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
(48) But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
(49) And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
(50) For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Epiphany of Christ has to do more with baptism then with the star of the wise men. Yet there are several differences on the meaning and in truth one might say the wise men were baptized in obedience of God’s word when they had a vision to go another way. Yet Jesus baptism was by immersion of water, a symbol of taking away one sin. Abimelech was baptized into the word of God when God warned him not to sleep with Sarah Abraham’s wife. How is one baptized but into the word of God, through both upon hearing and upon receiving causing one to act on the will, and warnings of God.
How heart broken was Mary the mother of Jesus when Jesus had no time for her. Did Jesus obey and continue to submit to his mother in his journey as an adult in ministry. I do not doubt He loved his mother, but he was busy when she showed up. Kind of like if one family shows up at work, you really do not have time for them at the moment because you are serving where you work. Jesus was serving a full course meal to those listening to Him. To those that obey Jesus were his family. Those who did not were none of his. Jesus turned the event of his family appearing into a sermon for those listening.
The military baptizes their men and women into military jargon. Fire department in to language of rescue and fire. A department store into its own language of buying and selling. The computer tech world into a language to complex for many. Yet if you can follow the language you will do will in these task. Will being baptized in God’s word allows you to do will as a child of God. When we follow Jesus, we follow in obedience to God. We learn to walk in the language of God’s word and obedience. God knows our language, most everyone else only thinks they do. Yet God in his wisdom knows how to get us to move forward in faith and obedience doing his will. Baptism begins with faith in God’s word that what God says is true that we fall on our knees to repentance as instructed by the word of God in scripture, some might say to minister, but it is the pricking of the Holy Spirit on the heart that convicts one to obey.
Jesus says you are one of his if you obey Him. Yet you are baptized into Christ if you obey and not only hear the word of God. Many know God’s language of scripture, even the devil does, but the devil does not obey God. Think this morning are you child of the kingdom of God. Are you part of Jesus’ family.
Dear Heavenly Father convict our hearts upon hearing of your word to follow in baptism of faith to obedience. In Jesus precious name, Amen.
Daily Bible Verses: James 1:22-25 KJV
(22) But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
(23) For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
(24) For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
(25) But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Daily God’s Promises: James 2:23-24 KJV
(23) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
(24) Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
May not be sold or resold in any form, free to share. Originally published at http://www.turtle30cshell.com