Daily Devotions for Wednesday: by Christina Farris 2/8/2017
Ezekiel 5:1-17 KJV
(1) And thou, son of man, take thee a sharp knife, take thee a barber’s razor, and cause it to pass upon thine head and upon thy beard: then take thee balances to weigh, and divide the hair.
(2) Thou shalt burn with fire a third part in the midst of the city, when the days of the siege are fulfilled: and thou shalt take a third part, and smite about it with a knife: and a third part thou shalt scatter in the wind; and I will draw out a sword after them.
(3) Thou shalt also take thereof a few in number, and bind them in thy skirts.
(4) Then take of them again, and cast them into the midst of the fire, and burn them in the fire; for thereof shall a fire come forth into all the house of Israel.
(5) Thus saith the Lord GOD; This is Jerusalem: I have set it in the midst of the nations and countries that are round about her.
(6) And she hath changed my judgments into wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the countries that are round about her: for they have refused my judgments and my statutes, they have not walked in them.
(7) Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye multiplied more than the nations that are round about you, and have not walked in my statutes, neither have kept my judgments, neither have done according to the judgments of the nations that are round about you;
(8) Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, am against thee, and will execute judgments in the midst of thee in the sight of the nations.
(9) And I will do in thee that which I have not done, and whereunto I will not do any more the like, because of all thine abominations.
(10) Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds.
(11) Wherefore, as I live, saith the Lord GOD; Surely, because thou hast defiled my sanctuary with all thy detestable things, and with all thine abominations, therefore will I also diminish thee; neither shall mine eye spare, neither will I have any pity.
(12) A third part of thee shall die with the pestilence, and with famine shall they be consumed in the midst of thee: and a third part shall fall by the sword round about thee; and I will scatter a third part into all the winds, and I will draw out a sword after them.
(13) Thus shall mine anger be accomplished, and I will cause my fury to rest upon them, and I will be comforted: and they shall know that I the LORD have spoken it in my zeal, when I have accomplished my fury in them.
(14) Moreover I will make thee waste, and a reproach among the nations that are round about thee, in the sight of all that pass by.
(15) So it shall be a reproach and a taunt, an instruction and an astonishment unto the nations that are round about thee, when I shall execute judgments in thee in anger and in fury and in furious rebukes. I the LORD have spoken it.
(16) When I shall send upon them the evil arrows of famine, which shall be for their destruction, and which I will send to destroy you: and I will increase the famine upon you, and will break your staff of bread:
(17) So will I send upon you famine and evil beasts, and they shall bereave thee; and pestilence and blood shall pass through thee; and I will bring the sword upon thee. I the LORD have spoken it.
Israel has always been thought to be a God fearing nation, but it too has had time of downfall. The understanding of judgment is not hard to grasp. Man falls first from their love and worship of God and then judgment comes when man becomes even depraved even in their own site. God’s control over nations is clearly spoken about in scripture. Even within the nation there are believers, but the judgment to the nation of sin, comes destruction. We want to think of this only as a wrath of God but judgment of God is more then just spiritual force, but a natural occurrence of what happens.
The natural course of the break down of society is more then just the lack of worship of God though God has the ability to stop destruction he allows this judgment to come. When a fire burns through open field, by an act of God and not man, does it clean the field of weeds, thorns and thistles. Does not plagues bring about a purging of a population. Does not poverty bring about eventually starvation. Does not sin of alcoholism and drugs not land up in death. Wild partying end of in disaster because of inability to control one’s life. If you escape all the trouble are you not standing up and saying Thank be to God. Filth leads to destruction of society. Black plague of Europe is only proof of rats and fleas causing death. Some health care illness are preventable other things are not. The break down of society begins with dirtiness. Yet it does not stop there. Abortion though made safer in today’s world with family planning might control population, but it does not control the dwindling of a nation of its size. Unless your technology is vast then you are on the outs if a larger nation decide they are at war against you. All things natural, not always sin.
The act of God of judgment comes without the act of natural environment being corrupted. The purity of our nation as far as taking preventive measure in health care for the heathen, only helps in preventing natural diseases from being a plague among our own people. Block burning in a forest by forestry only helps in preventing massive forest fires, but not full proof. The study of tornadoes to find ways to control wind continues in hopes to change weather as well as send a warning system to the people. Act of God can not be prevented by man. It coming despite what we do to our global environment. How we take care of our global environment is up to us, to make our world safer while we are here on earth.
Judgment of Ezekiel speaks of disaster of both global natural occurrences, as well as act of God. Destruction of Israel coming in thirds and one part surviving. Two being burnt with fire of destruction because of Idolatry, and sacrifices to idols including their own children. The fire of God coming because of the siege of war of a nation allowed to rise to judge Israel of sin. Deplorable condition of Israel had become because of no longer acknowledging God. No longer a loving but a fearful nation of its own people. King Solomon was the first king that really began the destruction of Israel. The taking in of foreign wives that practice idolatry even burning their children on the altar. Trickery, black magic involved in idolatry causing fear and panic in believers of faith because of lies of deception. People fearing what man could do more then fearing what God could do, causing destruction over time. King Solomon would only be the first of many kings whose heart belong to other gods, yet this was one king that still cared for the people of Israel. Not all evil kings brought fear to God’s people, but some did through the killing of God’s people.
God’s judgment is only based on the turning away of people that lead to society destruction of not worshipping Him. The act of God like the death angel of Egypt. Not like the human turning over of idols by Gideon and act of war against the people of Baal. God’s judgment is coming soon to the world when Christ returns. His word is pure and sharper then any two edge sword. God so loved the world that He gave His Only Son, but His word did not cease, only the vessel God used, until He raised the vessel back up for you and me to have that hope of the resurrection and eternal life.
Man’s killing of God’s people is wrath of man, unless God allows the raising up a nation for the correction of another. God’s people would live in bondage and all the hardship of bondage would be in place, but the fact remains, it was not just down to Israel but other nations these super power swept through. God desire all the children of the world to get along and to forget He is still in charge. Are you follow and worshipping God not because of the judgment but because He loves you and me. The act of God comes to those whose life is against God. Act of God is the judgment of eternity and death. The grace of God given to all that hope in Him. Yet God’s grace is extended to the heathen for a time, for them to have a chance to know God and Christ for them that seek Him.
Dear Heavenly Father remind us of our grace and not just the fear of judgment. Israel had come to a point of corruption of society breakdown on their own. Yet your mercy caused the judgment from another country to come and rescue them from their own destruction. In Jesus precious name, Amen.
Continual Scripture Study For Devotions: Revelation 8:9 KJV
(9) And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.