Daily Devotions for Friday: by Christina Farris
Ruth 1:3-18 KJV
(3) And Elimelech Naomi’s husband died; and she was left, and her two sons.
(4) And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years.
(5) And Mahlon and Chilion died also both of them; and the woman was left of her two sons and her husband.
(6) Then she arose with her daughters in law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that the LORD had visited his people in giving them bread.
(7) Wherefore she went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters in law with her; and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah.
(8) And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother’s house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me.
(9) The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them; and they lifted up their voice, and wept.
(10) And they said unto her, Surely we will return with thee unto thy people.
(11) And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
(12) Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;
(13) Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the LORD is gone out against me.
(14) And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.
(15) And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.
(16) And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
(17) Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
(18) When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.
Ruth found herself going toward Israel, because of her loyalty to Naomi. It not unusual to go with a friend, spouse, or family to a strange place. The question might be why such a big deal. Moabites worshipped in general a different god then the God of Naomi. In fact history declares them as a people that sacrificed even there children. Naomi had lost her husband to a battle and her two sons, leaving her with her two daughter in laws. Ruth decision must be her own to stay with Naomi, for the journey would not only be hard, but being accept by Naomi’s people would be difficult. In any move to get to know the people around you can be difficult, but changing of culture is also difficult. Yet Ruth would find herself taking her mother in laws advice when they reach Israel and would even find a spouse.
Ruth loyalty to Naomi was that she was willing to give up her homeland to live and care for Naomi. She had a love for her mother in law that was friendship and not just because of her marital status to Naomi’s son. Ruth was willing to go and so she follow without Naomi pleading anymore with her to stay. Yet Naomi question her to make sure that what she really wanted to do. Naomi even convinced her other daughter in law to stay in the land she was from. How difficult it is to make choices of changes.
When one decides to follow God there is no turning back. It is a choice to go forward with God. God never lets go even when one backslides. God is loyal to you and will provide. He will be there in the mist of the storm as well has through the good times. How loyal are you to God and willing to obey him as Ruth would be loyal to her mother in law once enter into Israel. What choices are you making today? Will you be loyal to God. Will choose to follow His plan for your life. No one else might go in the direction you are heading with God, but that individual choice is yours to make. There is a song that says “Turn your eyes upon Jesus looking fully into His wonderful face and the things of this earth will grow strangely dim.” Fact is as we focus on God the things of this world will not matter much. Yet we will still care for those around us and our country.
Dear Heavenly Father teaches us to be loyal to not only you but others as well as Ruth was to her mother in law. In Jesus precious name, Amen.
Daily Bible Verses: Acts 11:23 KJV
(23) Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
Daily God’s Promises: 1 Corinthians 15:57-58 KJV
(57) But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(58) Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.