|The Value Of Personal Faith In God
Daily Devotions: by Christina Farris
|Ezekiel 14:1-23 KJV
(1) Then came certain of the elders of Israel unto me, and sat before me.
(2) And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
(3) Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be enquired of at all by them?
(4) Therefore speak unto them, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Every man of the house of Israel that setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to the prophet; I the LORD will answer him that cometh according to the multitude of his idols;
(5) That I may take the house of Israel in their own heart, because they are all estranged from me through their idols.
(6) Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.
(7) For every one of the house of Israel, or of the stranger that sojourneth in Israel, which separateth himself from me, and setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to a prophet to enquire of him concerning me; I the LORD will answer him by myself:
(8) And I will set my face against that man, and will make him a sign and a proverb, and I will cut him off from the midst of my people; and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
(9) And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.
(10) And they shall bear the punishment of their iniquity: the punishment of the prophet shall be even as the punishment of him that seeketh unto him;
(11) That the house of Israel may go no more astray from me, neither be polluted any more with all their transgressions; but that they may be my people, and I may be their God, saith the Lord GOD.
(12) The word of the LORD came again to me, saying,
(13) Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:
(14) Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD.
(15) If I cause noisome beasts to pass through the land, and they spoil it, so that it be desolate, that no man may pass through because of the beasts:
(16) Though these three men were in it, as I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither sons nor daughters; they only shall be delivered, but the land shall be desolate.
(17) Or if I bring a sword upon that land, and say, Sword, go through the land; so that I cut off man and beast from it:
(18) Though these three men were in it, as I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither sons nor daughters, but they only shall be delivered themselves.
(19) Or if I send a pestilence into that land, and pour out my fury upon it in blood, to cut off from it man and beast:
(20) Though Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, as I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither son nor daughter; they shall but deliver their own souls by their righteousness.
(21) For thus saith the Lord GOD; How much more when I send my four sore judgments upon Jerusalem, the sword, and the famine, and the noisome beast, and the pestilence, to cut off from it man and beast?
(22) Yet, behold, therein shall be left a remnant that shall be brought forth, both sons and daughters: behold, they shall come forth unto you, and ye shall see their way and their doings: and ye shall be comforted concerning the evil that I have brought upon Jerusalem, even concerning all that I have brought upon it.
(23) And they shall comfort you, when ye see their ways and their doings: and ye shall know that I have not done without cause all that I have done in it, saith the Lord GOD.
Idolatry plagued Israel. People were following idols because of strong divination and trickery. Yet even though they had idols in their heart they would still come seeking the prophets of Israel. It did not matter whether it was one of the children of Israel or a stranger that made inquiries of the prophet, God would cut the idols from their heart and make them a testimony before Israel. God would speak to him about his idolatry and if one did not repent the wrath of God would come, to testify against the man of idolatry.
The individual faith is important in this story. God uses the righteouness of Noah, David and Job to speak of individual faith in Him. Individual faith that would keep one from eternity of hell, despite the world around them. Despite the world around their faith was of value to their protection, though God would not promise to protect their children for eternity. Blessing of prosperity was promised to David ancestor, but not eternal life. It would be Solomon idolatry and 800 wives that would be a testimony against him of his sinfulness despite his richness, he soul was in jeopardy of eternal damnation.
God never rejects a man or woman that repents. Godís love for the one that turns from, sin and confessing the sin as wrong will allow God will allow them be his child. Faith is hard sometimes, but it takes hearing both the word of God by His Spirit to know that it is possible to communicate with Him. To know our vary act of turning from sin and repenting pleases Him. That faith brings about righteousness. This is something that did not change from Old To New Testament. Faith is important for salvation. Salvation first coming by Godís word, and then coming as the word in the flesh as His Son. Yet most of all his word has always spoken to the spirit of man by the Holy Spirit. Jesus asked Peter who do you say I am and Peter said the Christ. Jesus response was the Holy Spirit told you that. That found in Matthew.
The point is the value of faith causing righteousness with God means there no division in communication with God, no veil, and no need for the prophet to speak to you about individual sin, unless you refuse to hear God. David found himself in deep sin with Bathesheba, God would send the prophet Nathan to convict him, because he heed not His Spirit before sinning. David became a laughingstock to Israel.
Sin will take you far from God and repentance will bring you back to Him. Every backslider of faith has the ability to repent. Jesus paid the price for our sin. With His death He buried our transgressions. Before Jesus with repentance did not stop the punishment of sin. Our legal law does not always stop punishment with repentance, only makes the punishment less severe in some cases. God gives away to Him through His Son. Convicting the heart of man to repentance. For man to understand His love by the gift of His Son who walked this earth as a man. Sin leads to death eternal. Adam sinned was the first one to sin and brought the price that had to be paid for sin by being kicked out of heaven. Our faith is our protection if we receive the word of God has truth. That god is just to forgive our sin.
Dear Heavenly Father forgive our sin and help us to believe in You and your Salvation by belief in your Son/Word. In Jesus precious name, Amen.
Continual Scripture Study for Devotion:Matthew 16:16-17 KJV
(16) And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
(17) And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.