|What Is Peace and Freedom|
by Christina Farris 07/21/2015What is peace and freedom, but a time of sanctuary away from the storms in life. Everyone needs an oasis a place away from the storms and the work of life. As I finished up remodeling the deck I found myself resting in my oasis. It no bigger then a 12x12 area, but the hammock fits nicely with a table and a few chairs. The tomatoes planted and one flowering pot with the hope of more to come, as soon has those seeds get in the ground will enhance the beauty of the porch. Yet it is not the beauty that brings the peace, or the hammock swaying in the wind. It is the quiet reflection of life passing by with a love one. It is the quiet time to talk with God in garden so to speak. True freedom and peace comes with contentment with where you are even when things in life did not workout like you planned it. Yet it did workout how God planned it for me. I can not help but think God has more in store for me.
I guess you can say there is a point to this reflection and that is everyone of us needs a quiet place to go and reflect and to mediate on God and His Word. Everyone needs a place to feel a moment of peace. Even our cat mongo enjoys the deck and hubby accidently brushed his foot against the cat and the cat did not even move. I happened to wonder has the deck given him an oasis too.
Freedom is finding rest in God and peace through Jesus. Knowing the bridge to God is found through Christ who sets us free to live in harmony with God and also our fellowman. Yet peace come by the Holy Spirit upon faith in God and Christ Jesus. Yet peace can come even in the middle of a storm.My diagnoises with cancer I felt a calm. In the middle of being in my car wreck I felt a calm. God's presents in the middle of a storm brings peace when only turmoil should be only felt. Yet not every storm is peaceful, not every storm is their contentment. I believe that with prayer and learning to trust God that peace is found even when no feeling of peace is found. It comes with relying on God's word. Paul felt many storms in his journey. He knew what it was to be beaten and to be stoned and yet his peace came from knowing God. He was stoned to near death and the Christians surrounded him,he then arose up from the ground and continued his journey to the next town to share the Gospel. One can not imagine the stoning that Paul endured to rise again to continue moving foreward. Yet one can know the power of God that enabled Paul to go through his journey as a missionary.
Peace that Paul found came through knowing God and Christ Jesus, it was not feeling of contentment necessarily but the knowledge of knowing what was right and wrong, to know the hope of eternity, to know that the ways of God's Spirit is best for all mankind to dwell with each other.
True peace comes through following after the Spirit of God following in the ways of God. It not a feeling of peace, but the knowledge of living as one ought to despite the world around them. Peace is not oasis, though it might feel good. It is of peace and safety in obedience to the ways of God to live peacefully with one neighbor in accordance to the law of both man and God.
|Colossians 3:10-17 KJV
(10) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
(11) Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
(12) Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
(13) Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
(14) And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
(15) And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
(16) Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
(17) And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.